Sunday, May 2, 2010

Paperwork, paperwork, paperwork.

Our Home Study was completed on April 16th, 2010 and according to the Social Worker, she wants to have all paperwork completed by the end of May. We have not had any feedback yet but we are not worried. We were honest, we have a nice home, a strong marriage, and plenty of space for a 3rd, all is well.

We have completed our physicals, child abuse clearances, FBI and DOJ scans, references, and mostly everything has been notarized... still waiting on 2 more documents to be completed. We had to hire a traveling Notary to get our physicals notarized and MY WORD this been a process.

I have sent out all of the RI and MS documents that need to be Apostilled and MS came back already. I got a call today from a woman in the Secretary of State's office in RI telling me we had the WRONG marriage certificates and we needed to order new ones from vital records in Providence. We obtained our originals from the town of South Kingstown, where we were married, which seemed like that right place to get them but apparently not and I lost it on that poor woman. For those of you who have never heard of an Apostille, (I didn't know what it was!) it is a document that has to be sent to the Secretary of State of where the document was originated. Notary stamps are not enough apparently. In California it is highway robbery, it costs 20.00 per signature and most of our docs that need an Apostille are mostly from CA, and we have LOTS of them, *sigh*.

In a nut shell, we are almost complete in gathering all documents. We will then send all of the paperwork to the agency and they will send our "Dossier" to Poland.

We have both been slacking on our Rosetta Stone learning Polish, I have to get back to that asap!



10 comments:

  1. Hi- I just found your blog from another- we submitted our dossier to Poland one month ago. I hope you don't mind if I follow your story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say appropriate, a new baby is entering your lives just like anyone else's first child, no matter the process! I am so excited for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Extremely appropriate!! So hurry up and get busy with that. It'll be a great Baby Shower!
    We love you both very much!
    Hugs
    Auntie Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. totally appropriate! I can't wait to spoil them :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree....very appropriate. That child is going to be so spoiled it isnt going to be funny. I am already excited about buying out toyrus. Love you guys

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone!! xoxo

    GROMMIT is here! yay! :)

    Tom and Kara, I am following your blog as well! Great to read about similiar experiences. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Karin totally appropriate to register! Have fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just found your blog through another. I like tracking the Polish adopting families - maybe one of them will live in our area...

    Totally appropriate to register. In fact, I think you need to or people don't realize what might be appropriate. However, you may want to wait for your referral so that you have a better idea of what to register for. Some families have changed their mind on gender and/or age when a referral is offered. Even then you may want to wait until you have met the child/ren for the first time to register for other things. Our child was home 6mos when she turned 4 ---I packed away her 18mo clothes and moved on to 2 yo clothes at that time. The 4-5's are still in a tub waiting for a few years:) She also needed to play with toys that were at first at a 18mo, 2 yo level and now 3yo. We went through the younger stuff quickly, but she needed that simplicity to start with.

    Then again - a car seat is a car seat....No need to wait on many items.

    Good luck with the process, I hope it goes smoothly and as quickly as you want it to.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with everyone else - totally appropriate. You're no different than any other new mother out there.

    ReplyDelete